Equity by Design: Creating Classrooms Where Students Thrive with Jessie Cordova
April 28 & 29, 2020
8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
La Sure's Banquet Hall
3125 S. Washburn Street, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
About This Program:
Together, teacher leaders and administrators explore how current systems of oppression affect our students and how to strategically, and compassionately, interrupt those through relationship-building, policy-making, and intentional practice. This very practical workshop allows participants to engage in interactive experiences to build knowledge and skill around key ways to being, beliefs, and behaviors to develop an inclusive and thriving school.
- Ground in the identities and beliefs informing your work
- Understand how your leadership is conducive to creating equitable spaces
- Examine how the systems, structures, and policies in your local context may hinder equity efforts
- Learn new strategies and approaches to compassionately interrupt and stop inequitable practices
- Refine the leadership required of you to create and maintain equitable learning spaces
- Exploration of identities and origins of beliefs
- Interrogation of existing policies and systems
- Growing strategies for building relationships with students
- Refining approaches to classroom visits and hiring practices
- Deepening understanding of leadership
- Observing a transformational, equity-centered coaching conversation
About Our Presenter:
Jessie has worked in education for about 15 years as a bilingual and ESL teacher, team leader, and instructional and leadership coach to both teachers and their coaches. She earned a BA in History from Syracuse University and an MA in Education from the University of St. Thomas in Houston, TX. Jessie is also a Certified Professional Coach through Leadership That Works and she believes that coaching is a healing practice. She is passionate about designing and facilitating learning experiences that help people rediscover who they are and want to become. Jessie lives in Brooklyn, New York. You will often find her reading, traveling, doing Zumba, and eating delicious Keto-friendly food.
We have arranged for a special room rate at Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham, (920) 303-1133. Mention WASCD when booking.
8:30 –3:30 (Registration & breakfast starts at 8:00)
Program includes breakfast and lunch.
WASCD members: $469
Contact WASCD (715) 453-2141 X 1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Terms: Registrations are accepted on full payment, first-come, first served basis only. Confirmations are e-mailed approximately one week before the program. Please call the WASCD office before the program if you did not receive a confirmation to determine your registration status.. There are no refunds, however, there is no charge for substitutes.
On-Site Registration: When space is available, you may register on-site for an additional $25 fee. Cancellation Policy: WASCD reserves the right to move or cancel meetings because of low registration. That is why it is important to register early. In the unlikely event of a cancellation, all registrants will be notified and will receive full refunds.
Special Needs: Please notify WASCD of any special needs when you register.